Agricultural careersNew event to bring together top young business minds in farming
Farmers Weekly in association with Tesco has launched a free one-day business event for young people who are hungry for success in agriculture.
The Fertile Minds event will bring together 150 ambitious young farmers in the early stages of their careers for one day of non-stop business inspiration.
Leading the packed line-up of speakers are:
* A special guest who is one of the UK’s most exciting young entrepreneurs
* Three business-savvy young farmers who have proved it’s possible to build successful farming enterprises completely from scratch.
* Farmers-turned-sausage entrepreneurs the Keeble family, who have recently launched new sausage brand Heck and are stocked in Tesco.
* Agricultural banking experts who will lead a session on developing and pitching a truly winning business plan.
* Leading members from Land Partnerships, who will be sharing top legal advice on how to make that vital link between young farmers in need of some acres, and landowners with space to spare.
* And Farmers Weekly will be presenting exclusive research on the type of jobs, wages, benefits, work load and much more besides of those working in UK agriculture. Recruitment experts De Lacy Executive will be on hand to shed light on what the results mean for the industry.
As well as hearing from established brands and businesses, it will also be a unique opportunity for young farming entrepreneurs to network with their peers – share ideas, discuss problems, talk solutions and possibly even sow the seeds of future business collaborations.
Farmers Weekly Editor Jane King said: "There has never been a more exciting time to farm, but the next generation of farmers doesn’t have it easy. Feeding more mouths on less land will take imagination, ambition and lots of thinking outside the box. We hope everyone will leave Fertile Minds buzzing with ideas, and with a much clearer idea how they are going to achieve their business ambitions.”
Richard Marris, Commercial Director of Fresh Foods at Tesco said: "As British agriculture’s biggest customer, at Tesco we understand how important it is to support and encourage the next generation of farmers. The future of our industry relies on their enthusiasm, innovation and determination to succeed and by working together in partnership, we will continue to deliver the very best: fresh, high quality, high welfare food from British farms for our customers.”
Fertile Minds is free to attend but spaces are limited. To apply go to www.fwi.co.uk/fertileminds and fill out the online form. Successful applicants will be contacted before the end of October to confirm their place.
Fertile Minds event details:
DATE: 20th November 2013
TIME: 9am – 5.30pm
LOCATION: Sheepdrove Farm, Lambourn, Berkshire
WHO: Anyone who is in the early stages, or thinking about, building a farm business.
HOW: Apply for a place at www.fwi.co.uk/fertileminds